So far 4 of my seeds have germinated, but all are having varying amounts of trouble penetrating the soil with their roots. I keep having to loosen the soil and try to give them better leverage, but they keep pushing up... They're all still alive and growing though, even the two that completely stopped growing for two weeks apparently due to being too dry since they couldn't penetrate the soil and lifted themselves away from the surface.
I have banished the other 4 seeds outside for cooler nights and we're having sunnyish days which should be beneficial, another seems to be sprouting. The first to germinate has been potted up and is under lights indoors. If last year is anything to go by they can take ages to smash through the seed coat, I reckon they can be kept much wetter when small and for germination and drier when larger. Last years plant has started to branch but not quite worthy of an update pic yet
Well I only have two that have germinated, I have noticed that the seeds opened right up when wet then have closed up again and look lifeless after I accidentally let them get a bit too dry. In all fairness if I only end up with two its twice as successful as last year
I think if you get those seeds wet enough again they'll probably open back up. That seed coat splitting seems to be the first step in germination. I've got another seed with a split coat that will likely germinate in about a month if it follows the rest.
I had one dry out on me too, the smallest one that didn't have much of a root on it yet and soil mixed with my new, larger sand seems to dry out faster. The other three are doing well with two being held horizontal about 5mm above the soil, and the most developed one is upright and starting to grow upwards finally. It's amazing how long it takes these plants to get started.
I was going to post some pictures but Flickr is not letting me upload images at the moment.
Excellent pics, you've done well I reckon to get such good germination when almost everything I read says how difficult they can be. The plant I grew last year had the same strange lumpy stem , didn't seem to harm it though
I seem to have better success with plants people consider difficult than those that are considered easy sometimes. Nepenthes seeds have been a breeze for me and I managed to start a Byblis lamellata seed too. I am good at researching and sorting through conflicting information to find the more promising methods to use.
Since I took those pictures the upright plant has shown noticeable growth so I think it's finally speeding up. The one with the dark red stem is also starting to stand upright.