I won’t be able to get to my Dicksonia in daylight hours for a while so have prepared it for winter today. To save Fred’s blushes I won’t post a picture, although I now have new longer fleece covers. There were exactly 40 fronds this year average length 52 inches or 1.32 m, quite possibly the unusually dry weather limited the frond production. Cheers Steve
Last Edit: Nov 17, 2018 21:39:40 GMT by stevebooth: smelling wristache
The Dicksonia is waking up, with new crosiers from the unfurled crosiers with the ‘beatnik’ haircut to the unrolling frond. The cold snap we have had between the warmth, since it was uncovered in mid March doesn’t seem to have caused it any problem.
These were some spores that I collected off some the Dicksonia fronds that I wasn’t using for plant protection back in November, I placed some fronds on newspaper and let them dry, the spores falling onto the newspaper as they dried, saving the bulk of the yellow spores in a Jiffy bag in the fridge. The were sown on top of my usual CP mix of peat and wood shavings at the end of December on a cool ESE facing windowsill with a polycarbonate propagator cover over. I didn’t expect much as I hadn’t done anything really to help them along, but they seem to have done OK. I have saved a large amount of excess spores (they really do make a prestigious amount) for sowing later if these failed, consequently have a lot spare if anyone wants some, let me know. Cheers Steve
Hi dvg Only once about thirty something years ago, more by accident than by good judgement. It was in a time before the internet, I had some spore off some of my garden ferns, knowing nothing of their growing habits and not knowing anyone who did for advice, I did exactly what I note above, guessing that it would be what happens naturally and had some successs, but it didn’t spur me on to greater things I’m afraid.
I’ve started to prick some plants out, as the growing medium being my carnivorous plant mix, whilst staying delightfully damp is too low on nutrients, hence the pale foliage. So they are being potted into small plugs with a more nutritious mix. The roots of the seedlings are reasonably well developed as you may be able to see from the picture, so I will need to create some more space for juvenile plants. Cheers Steve